Friday, October 05, 2007

Money vs. Passion

What really matters in life. Money that comes from the job that you do or the joy and Passion that you get from doing something that you love even if you can barely make ends meet? To me, I have a kind of cliched point of view on the topic. It's a mixture of both. Cuz you can never get the best of both worlds. It is impossible to live on either extreme of the question, for me.

Money. Everyone needs it. This is fact. It's not being blasphemous and it's not being materialistic. But let's face it. What else can get you a place to sleep at night and food on the table when you wake up? It's sad that our world has come to revolve around such an abstract concept like money. The concept of images and numbers printed out on special pieces of paper making the paper into something worth more than it's material worth(as in the physical material) is rather bewildering. The reality of the situation though is that money has become a fundamental tool to achieving a "successful" life. Note that the word successful in my last sentence is in inverted commas. That is because the term successful when used to describe someones life is very broadly defined and means different things to different people. Bill Gates and Mother Theresa. Successful people in two very different ways but both highly respected and VERY successful in their lives.

I'm neither a Saint(-to-be) nor a billionaire so I set my sights slightly lower. I want to do something fulfilling in my life and yet has the earning power to keep my family as far above the poverty line as possible. I recognise the need to be a responsible person and support my future family but I cannot bring myself to take a job doing something that I don't enjoy. Or worse, a job that forces me to give up who I am and what I believe in just to bring in the big money. I refuse to accept the fact that one cannot do what one loves and earn a living at the same time.

No comments: