Thursday, December 29, 2005

::back to my youth::
I remember well how my grandma would read with me and my sis at night before bedtime. One of the books we read together were the seven books of Narnia. Having read the book and quite fallen in love with the land of Narnia, I really enjoyed watching the movie adaptation. It made me go back all the way to those times reading with grandma.

I'm sure that with the current Hollywood trend of adapting books into movies [*cough*LordoftheRings*cough cough*], there are sure to be plenty of comparisons to the much larger scaled and big budgeted LOTR trilogy. But to me, I think that Narnia whoops some serious ring ass. For one, 3 vs 7. Hah. Take that Tolkien.

But more than that I think that the reason that I have such an affection for the land of Narnia is because of the magic of the imagination. It's not a distant land like Middle Earth is. Narnia is like a dream. It's a place through the wardrobe in the spareroom. That is the magic of Narnia. The thought of going through the wardrobe and into another land is so illogical but is so enchanting.

I'm not trying to convince people that Narnia is better than LOTR. cuz it is not fair to comment on two books in different leagues. Narnia is a children's book. LOTR is not. One look at "The Fellowship of the Ring" is enough to put a child of reading for the rest of his/her life. I think it's rather more of a personal preference and because of my experiences with Narnia that I feel more for Aslan than Elrond.

On a slightly more selfish note, I kinda wished that the movie didn't come out. Narnia used to be somewhere secret which few people knew about. It was like having your own private world. Now that the movie is out, there'll be a lot of Narnia "fans" that don't know of the full world. Of the Silver Chair, Prince Caspian and the rest. So I can only hope that this movie inspires people to pick up the books and start reading. It's truly a magic place waiting to be discovered.

No comments: