Friday, July 25, 2008

And so it begins....

Have been watching a lot of The Big Bang Theory lately. It's this kinda new sitcom about two roommates, an experimental physicist and a theoretical scientist, who come home one day to find that this hot single white female, played by Kaley Cuoco (whoa!), has moved into the apartment across the hall from them. They're totally awkward socially and so the series revolves around the "beauty" and the "geeks", so to speak, and how Leonard, the physicist, falls for her and tries to woo her.

What's kinda scary is that I kinda relate to the geeks and their definitions of fun, except not to the extent of having Halo nights once a week. (Firstly cuz I don't have an Xbox. Hint hint..) And the fact that I'll be studying physics as my major. So I shall be avoiding theoretical scientists like the plague and I certainly will not be rooming with them.

School's gonna start in about two weeks and I'll be moving into my new room tomorrow with Loba (who's taking mechanical eng so that's totally diff from theoretical science. I hope?) and as daunting as that sounds, it's made even worse by the fact that the only thing I've studied in the past two years in my driving basic theory book. And I didn't make it past the first chapter of that.

Well. Like at every stage of my education, I have to start off the term with the promise to myself that I'll be diligent in my work, finish all tutorials and assignments on time and leave some time for me to have a life (with or without an Xbox). And again, like at every stage of my education, I have to tell myself not to make promises that I can't keep. So this whole paragraph is sort of a +1-1= 0 kinda thing. Argh.

One thing that I'm excited about going back to school is the prospect of intellectual stimulation. I've been effective brain dead for the past two years and that the SAF claims your brain along with your pink IC when you get enlisted didn't help me one bit. Doing sudoku puzzles are not ideal ways of keeping the mind active either cuz they're not really puzzles once you know the technique of solving them. It's too uniform and so strictly bound by rules that slotting numbers in gets a little boring after a while. So actual science would be a welcome change from viewing the world in 9 3x3 boxes with the numbers 1 to 9 floating around.

Aaaah. Will be having hall orientation for practically the whole of next week. So the next time I blog, I should have settled down nicely into my new room. Cheers to that.

Have a lot of things lined up in the next two to three weeks, including weekends that I've already begun to lose track of what's what and when's what. I would use my organiser. But I've gone and lost it. Double ARGH. With a capital ARGH.

I leave with a quote from this book that I'm reading called "Anansi Boys" by Neil Gaiman. "Things. They came up. That's what things do. They come up. I can't be expected to keep track of them all."

And that's the excuse I'll be using for the next two weeks.

1 comment:

desert rose said...

i just can't wait to see season 2. it all started with the big bang! :D